Sunday, March 6, 2011

Heading South

After the Ryan House Run yesterday, Veronica and I headed to Tucson for a work event (we did get to go home and shower/relax before we had to leave).
Now, we left early for one reason: dinner.  We had talked about eating dinner beforehand for a while, and well, Man vs. Food, you are a quite the influence (after all, we DID run 6.2 miles that morning, so we were more than allowed to indulge).  The episode in Tucson helped us narrow down our selection to Lindy's on 4th or El Guero Canelo.  Now, while the menu at Lindy's looks uh-may-zeeng, we decided on El Guero Canelo because 1) it was closer to our destination and 2) two friends of ours told us to go there if we had to choose (although both said good things about Lindy's, too, so the decision was still a difficult one).
So we walk in and stared, dumbly, at the menu.
"What are you gonna get?"
"I don't know... what are you gonna get?"
"Not sure."
"The tortas look good."
"I'm definitely getting menudo.  Or maybe..."
After a good five minutes to such scintillating conversation, we both settled on the carne asada caramelo, as well as a side order of fresh flour tortillas and a Coke® (people in Arizona and other SW states will understand why we got a Mexican Coke®).
O.
M.
G.
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo delicious!  The caramelo was awesome - it was cheesy and full of pinto beans and carne asada.
There was less small talk as we inhaled everything (as Sun Devils in a Wildcat city, we also were careful not to be snarky at the amount of red and blue).  So so so good.  Thank you, Adam Richman.
Then... well, we wanted ice cream.
Beep-bop-boop-bope-bop-bope-beep (that was me dialing our friend's number, in case you weren't sure)
So in luck - there was an ice cream shop not far from our location that she emphatically recommended - Santa Barbara Ice Creamery.
I had a double scoop because I couldn't choose between the chocolate peanut butter and the chocolate raspberry truffle.  In hindsight, I don't know that I ever could - they were both so very tasty.
I was super bummed that I had left the camera at home and couldn't take pictures of our Tucson eating extravaganza, but I'm sure I will head to Tucson again at some point, and I'll be sure to snap some shots of whatever I hork down then.
In the meantime, enjoy this clip from the MvF episode (despite the dude wearing Arizona stuff... he can't help it).  We didn't have the Sonoran dog, but we both considered it.



The only bad thing about going somewhere that was featured on MvF - I had a dream last night that I tried to complete a food challenge, which appeared to consist of eating a large bowl of nanner puddin' as well as a large burrito.  I'm almost thankful to the dog for waking up at 4:30 with a potty emergency!

1 comment:

  1. I have SO little room to talk here but the two times I was in Tucson we went to Cafe Poca Cosa, get Chef's Plate if you go - so good!

    ReplyDelete