Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Sick Soup

I don't know of anyone who wasn't fed canned chicken noodle soup when they were sick as kids.  I distinctly remember not liking the stuff with the stars, believing the long noodles were far superior.  I can't, however, remember the last time I had soup from a can.
Getting sick sucks.  Getting sick when you have a four-year-old who doesn't appear to understand the phrase "Mommy isn't feeling well; you need to let her sleep" sucks even more.  I might be able to take a sick day from work, but there are no sick days in parenting.
You know what else sucks?  Not having a go-to "feel better" food, specifically a "feel better" soup when I get down with the sickness.  Ever since I was pregnant, I have shunned most poultry (even the thought of it makes me shudder), so chicken soup, even something homemade, makes me a little uncomfortable.  For a time, I tried ph, that wonderful Vietnamese street soup, and it was delicious, but it didn't make me feel rejuvenated in the way I was looking for.
Enter Cho Dang's Korean Tofu and BBQ.
The Chandler location for the California restaurant is mere minutes away from our house, and I can't remember how or when Husband stumbled across this beauty, but I'm so glad that he did.  Not only do the dumplings hit the spot whenever I need them, but I've discovered that their spicy pork tofu soup is The Most Perfect Thing to help make me feel better.

Lava so hot it makes me sweat...
The soups can be ordered at five levels of spiciness, from "white" (not spicy at all) to extra hot.
Usually I opt for the medium, which is nice and hot without making me want to either die or drink all the milk in the world.
Last week, I either became a wuss, or they added a little extra zing to the soup, because my mouth felt like it was melting off.  I started sweating when I was eating.  Yep, that's right.  I was A Sweater.  Right there at my kitchen table.  Yet I wasn't able to stop, and so I sat there, eating my soup and sweating like a whore on nickel night a sinner in church a racehorse until my belly couldn't take it anymore.
And then I did the same thing again at lunch the next day.
I'm not sure if this soup actually does anything like ridding my body of little cooties, especially this go round, which is a combination of the common cold, an ear infection, and strep throat (super fun times!!!!!!!), or if it's more of a placebo thing, but even Husband agrees that there's something "magical" about the soup, and you can be sure that the next time I'm feeling under the weather, I'll get more.
What is your go-to food (or drink) when you get a case of the sniffles and aches?

2 comments:

  1. I think the sweats are proof of your illness. The sicky cooties lower your tolerance. I'm practically a scientist, so trust me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on your degree and medically-related field, I can't do anything BUT trust you.

      Delete