Tuesday, August 27, 2013

She Put the Lime in the Marshmallow, She Ate it All Up

If we're being honest, I tend to prefer lime over lemon.  With the exception of lemon curd, which is one of The Best Things Ever, I just feel like lime is a little more exciting in things.
Thus, with the success of my attempts with lemon and orange, it was only a matter of time before I put the lime in the marshmallow and ate it all up.


Lime Marshmallows
adapted (once again) from the irreplaceable Jenni at Pastry Chef Online
  • 4 1/2 Tbsp gelatin (about 5 envelopes)
  • 1 cup plus 2 tsp cold water (I also added a splash of lime juice, for giggles)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp lime extract
  • 1 Tbsp lime zest plus more for tossing
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1 cup corn syrup (you can also use rice syrup or honey)
  • 1 cup lime syrup (formula below)
  • water
  • combination of corn starch and powdered (icing) sugar, about 1:1 ratio
Combine the water, lime zest, and lime extract in the bowl of a mixer.  Sprinkle gelatin over the mixture and stir to combine, being careful to get rid of any lumps.  Set aside.
Spray a 9X13 pan with either pan spray or coat with oil (I use my Misto and olive oil).  Line the pan with plastic wrap, and then coat the top of the plastic wrap with oil.  Coat completely with your powdered sugar and corn starch mixture.  I've played around with how much, and what I've found works well for me is to coat completely and then tap out the excess.  This makes, for me, a less clumpy end product.  Set the pan aside.
Bring sugar and syrups (and a splash of water) to a boil.  Continue to boil until the mixture reaches 244° (the soft ball stage).  
When the syrup mixture reaches about 235°, turn on the mixer, using the whisk attachment, to low or medium low.
As soon as the syrup reaches the proper temperature, remove and pour into the mixing bowl, continuing to whisk on low/medium low.  
Gradually raise the speed of the mixer from light speed all the way to ludicrous speed.  Continue to whip until the mixture has about tripled inside (read: you're fearful it will overflow) and it starts to come off the sides of the bowl in small threads.
Using a large spatula liberally coated with pan spray or olive oil, pour the marshmallow cream into the prepared pan, carefully spreading it out evenly.  Take a pause to lick the spatula before throwing it in the sink.
Sift the corn starch-powdered sugar combination over the top of the marshmallows, making sure that you can't see any of the shiny mallows under the snowy powder.  Allow to sit, uncovered, in a coonhound-proof area for several hours or overnight.
Once the marshmallows are set, invert the pan over a large cutting board.  Use the plastic wrap to easily remove the marshmallows from the pan.  Cut into one inch cubes, tossing each in more corn starch and powdered sugar before storing in an airtight container for about a week (or however long the mallows last).  Sprinkle with a little extra lime zest for a bit more of a zing, if you like (I like).


Lime Syrup
  • equal parts sugar and water
  • as much lime zest as you want

Heat all ingredients so that the sugar dissolves completely.  Allow to simmer until the syrup is slightly reduced.  Cool completely and store in the refrigerator.  When ready to use, strain out the zest.
I've seen some ingredients strain the zest when the syrup has cooled, but I think it packs a bigger punch if it's allowed to steep for a day or so.  It's up to you.


Like the lemon marshmallows, these beauties offer a tart accent that offsets the sweetness of what is essentially sugar, sugar, and more sugar.  It's a rather unique taste combination that offers a hint of the relief from the Arizona heat that's found in lemonade and lime slushies.  I can almost feel the double digit temps again when I have seven three one of these marshmallows.  Ahhhhh....


3 comments:

  1. YUM! I keep trying to convince myself homemade marshmallows are not as intimidating as they seem. I'm trying to get my nerve up to attempt my first batch. Your posts are helping, so keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you take the plunge, there's no going back. I know you can do it. If you can make divinity, you can make marshmallows. :)

      Delete
  2. Ok I am finally going to make the blood orange marshmellows! I made the syrup tonight (Trader joes has bags of blood oranges for only like $3!!)...and made double. Because now the extra syrup makes an excellent Cosmo!

    ReplyDelete