Monday, July 18, 2011

Meatless Monday Takes on Spaghetti

On Sunday, we received a lovely bottle of avocado oil, and I've been thinking about what to do with it since.
So, today being Meatless Monday, I took advantage of the spaghetti squash sitting on our counter and threw a little something together.  Lately I have been terribly disappointed in my "let's throw all this together and see what happens" attempts, but tonight I was exceedingly happy with the results.
Avocado oil is quite buttery, so a little goes a long way.  I added just the slightest amount to the pan in order to toss the finished product with a little drizzle of more.
But be careful - this oil can go rancid much more quickly than other food oils, so you can be sure that I'll be looking for ways to use this bottle of deliciousness in order to make sure none goes to waste.


Spaghetti Squash with Chickpeas & Patty Pan Squash
  • Spaghetti squash
  • Patty pan squash
  • Onion (I used both 1/2 onion and a green onion)
  • Chickpeas (I used 1/2 can)
  • Chives
  • Avocado oil
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
Cut spaghetti squash; scoop out seeds and pulp.  Bake, cut sides up at 375° for 30-40 minutes (or until tender).  Allow to cool and scrape out the flesh.

If you don't have a compost pile, feed the pulp to the dog;
squash is a healthy (occasional) addition to a canine dinner.
While spaghetti squash is cooking, chop onion and patty pan squash.  Swirl avocado oil in a pan; heat over medium to moderate heat.  Add the onions, cook for a few minutes before adding the squash and chickpeas.  Saute until those lovely little brown crunchy bits appear on the veggies.  
Chop the chives, and sprinkle over the spaghetti squash.  Drizzle some avocado oil over it as well, and then add the chickpea-squash mixture.
Serve warm (and add salt and pepper as you need to).


I thought about adding a little sprinkle of parm, but then I decided that it looked so pretty without it, so I opted not to.  Then I thought, well, maybe a sliced tomato - no, they were too juicy and would have ruined the whole makeup, so I had them as a side.  That being said, I think this could do well with just about any saute-able veggie.

No comments:

Post a Comment