So I knew as much as I like them, pancakes would not do. I needed Something Filling.
Baked Eggs in Ramekins
- 3 eggs
- 1 c half & half
- 1/2 c cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 romano cheese, shredded
- a few handsful spinach, torn
- 3/4 - 1 c squash, chopped (I used patty pan)
- 1 rasher streaky bacon (only because it was in the fridge, and I didn't want it to become that science experiment)
- 1 green red onion, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
Preheat oven to 350°. Beat together the eggs, cheese, and half & half; set aside. Swirl some olive oil into a pan and soften the onions and shallot; move to a bowl and keep warm. Add a little more oil (if needed) and throw in the squash; saute until it begins to caramelize, and add the spinach until it begins to wilt. Add squash, spinach, and onion/shallot mixture to egg mixture; stir to combine. Pour into buttered ramekins and back 45 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
This was just a fantastic recovery meal; it had plenty of protein as well as fiber. It could have been slightly healthier - I did have buttered white toast alongside it (my ultimate vice - white bread with butter). But since it took a while to bake, it was more a brunch than just breakfast, so I think I'll be happy for a while.
As long as I get a snack here in a bit.