Monday, November 7, 2011

I, Runner

In all my life, I never thought I would start a morning like this one.
Since it's Monday, I set my alarm last night for 4:45.  The ungodly wakeup time is so that I can get in a run before the day really begins.  Scott usually walks Zooey around 5:15-ish, but I need to run and get back to shower before he drags himself out of bed to shower, since he has to be at work at 7:00.  I run three mornings a week as I train for my first half marathon (in January), two of which begin at oh-dark-thirty.
However, HRH threw a huge wrench into the whole scenario when she shuffled into our room sometime between midnight at that oh-dark-thirty time slot.  I have no idea how early late early it was, but instead of taking her back to her own bed, I hauled her up and snuggled in with her.
And then the alarm went off.
Now, you need to understand something about my dog.  When my alarm goes off, Zooey, whose own bed is on the opposite side of the room, is ready to roll in about a millisecond.  She knows that Scott's alarm equals walk, and my alarm equals run.  Based on three-plus years of research, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that runs are infinitely more exciting for my girl.  Most run days are met with an excited, low bawl, which I try (in vain) to shush so no one else is woken up (by "no one else" I mean HRH - Scott's on his own).
Today was no different, and Zooey patiently impatiently frantically waited outside the bathroom while I donned my running gear (clearly she disapproves that I take more time to get ready than she).

Captured when we got back,
about 5:40-ish - yuck!
And then we went downstairs.
Since when does it rain in Arizona?  Apparently, since last night.  I let Zooey out to do her business before we left, and boy, was it chilly, windy, and rainy!  Gross.
I usually do my best to get my shoes on before Zooey comes back inside.  Today, I just kind of stood there, dumbfounded, trying to decide what to do.  I really don't care for weather like this.  I moved TO Arizona FROM Washington state, in (large) part because of the weather.  I really wanted to go back to bed.  My warm, cozy bed.
But then I decided that I couldn't let Zooey down.  She would be beside herself if I went back on our (unspoken) agreement to go for a run.
So somehow I managed to find my running jacket, a stocking cap, and some gloves (yes, I'm a wuss), finagle my iPod into some workable arrangement in the inner pocket, and we were off.
Ten minutes in, it hit me.
I am a runner.
I had just made the decision to run, at 5:00 AM, in the dark, in the rain, with a completely insane coonhound as my only companion.
I am a runner.
Two years ago I would have never entertained even the idea of jogging around the block.  And now I'm training to run 13.1 miles.  In the same day.
I am a runner.
If it's raining on Thursday, I guess I'll get myself soaked again.  Why?  Because I'm a glutton for punishment.
Oh - Zooey wanted me to let you know that she's a runner, too:
U iz tooked me on a run in da rain.
Wuz fun!

4 comments:

  1. Ack! Zooey is so cute, I can't stand it!!! My dog would sit down in protest after a block of running. And the rain? Fahgetaboutit!
    Sadly, I feel the same as my pup. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the dorkiest thing to say, but I love that you're a two year old runner! I'll hit two years at the end of January/beginning of February and for some reason I'm fixating on it. Plus it's nice to be able to share with people who haven't been running for like...their entire life.

    GOD. Dorkiest confession ever for the internet.

    Anyway, you get major points for waking up early (those mornings are rough!) and running in the rain. I'll be honest - I always wuss out and end up on the treadmill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish Blogger would let me respond to specific comments - this is gonna be a bit long...
    M, I totally know the feeling. That's why I felt compelled to write this post. I was almost aghast when I realized the decision I made. It was like I didn't know who I was anymore. Zooey, of course, was completely in favor of the decision, although my dear friend's beagle would rather eat glass than jog around even one block, so I know how that goes!

    Awww, Kat - so sweet! It is nice to be able to talk to people who haven't run for so long they have forgotten their pre-running days! The Undy 5000 will be my first "second time around" race, and I'm excited for that for some silly reason.
    If I don't get out in the mornings, I won't. I was supposed to cross train today, and here I sit, at 8:30 at night, having done nothing. I DID clean up the front room/office/play room/yoga studio so that I could put in the yoga DVD, but since HRH is STILL up and going strong (curse her dad's side of the family and their night owl tendencies!), I will likely, once again, use today as a rest day and tomorrow to cross train (yoga right now).
    I am so glad that we can support one another as we keep running! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVED this! You ARE a runner!! I can't even tell you how many times, in my brief 6 months of thinking of becoming a runner, that I have run in the rain. Drizzle, showers, sudden downpours--you name it. It is not fun. You do get soaked. You are then have a chill for the rest of the day. But it feels good afterward.

    I must admit giggling at your weather report. I'll be lucky to see 51 degrees again before May. ;) However, I doubt I'll be running outside when the temp dips below freezing.

    Thanks for being part of the Running Pack in the Sky that keeps me motivated to try to be a runner, too. :)

    ReplyDelete