Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The End of More; the Beginning of Study

The word for 2014 is study.


Last year, my Word of the Year was More.
Specifically:

  • More miles
  • More family time
  • More charitable donations

I am happy that, for the most, I did more.  I ran more miles in 2013 (558.91) than 2012 (427.7).  I put a lot of emphasis on spending family time together, making sure that some fun activities like the Polar Express involved all three of us, even if that took a little more effort/planning to make sure Husband wasn't working or traveling for work.  I don't feel like we made a huge impact on the charities I had planned to focus, but with apps like Charity Miles and some other donations that came up mid-year, I feel like I have made a more positive impact on the world than in past years.

As I turn the calendar to 2014, I am also turning a page in my own life.  This semester, I am officially a Northern Arizona University Lumberjack, working towards my masters in English.

I have hemmed and hawed over my masters for far too long; Husband graduated in 2007, and since then, it's been "my turn" to go back.  Some days I would think that I needed to get my masters in Something Practical (read: not English).  Some days I would think that I needed to study What I Love (read: English).  Finally, the days when I thought the latter far outweighed the former, and the decision was made.  I'll be taking all my classes online, which does restrict my class options a little, but I will be able to take some electives within the education college, which will in turn help me add some practicality to my new degree, which I should earn in December 2015.

As such, while I will continue to run more miles, spend as much time with my husband and daughter as possible, and give back when and where I can, my main focus for 2014 is on myself and my books.  Hopefully the work-life-school balance will be manageable in the first half of the year; I'm counting on HRH's entrance into kindergarten next fall to allow me a greater ability to focus on work during the work day so my school hours can be more tightly focused as well.

I've always loved learning, and I was a good "traditional" student (I still take notes when I'm reading books for fun), but after not having been in a class since 2002, I'm also a little nervous.  I'm not new to online learning (after all, I teach online now), but it will be a new perspective being a student.  That being said, I'm excited at this new chapter in my life, and I can't wait to see what doors it may open to me!

What is your word/motto for 2014?

5 comments:

  1. Allison...how wonderful! I love English, too. And English literature. What a great way to start the year! I wouldn't be so nervous...cuz you'll be studying what you love! I wish you much success, good health and happiness in the coming year. And my word for 2014....simplify. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne! I am really excited, and I loved my undergraduate degrees (one of them is English), so I'm certain I'll love this, too, once I really get into the thick of it. This semester I actually am taking two education classes, so I'm not as excited as perhaps I would be if they were English courses.
      I love your word for 2014. At some point that needs to be mine as well. :)

      Delete
  2. I would have to go with focus. I feel like I was so split last year that I did lots, but not very well. I need to refocus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great word, great plan! It's easy to think loftily at the beginning of the year and spread oneself thin (looking straight in the mirror as I type that). Good luck!

      Delete
  3. You deserve to focus on and learn what you love. You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete