Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Colonel Mustard... in the Kitchen... With the Blender

After my two failed attempts at the lemon marmalade, I thought I should give it a rest for a few days to regroup and find a recipe that might be more conducive to me (i.e., idiot-proof).
I needed something simple to get me through this week, and I noted in my last post that I decided to make my own mustard instead of turning the car around to get a jar at the store.
I wanted a basic mustard recipe, and no matter where I looked, a basic recipe seems to be the same anywhere.

Basic Mustard

  • equal parts water and vinegar (preferably apply cider vinegar, but I suppose most would do the trick)
  • another equal part mustard seeds (so I had a 1/2 cup seeds, 1/2 cup water, and 1/2 cup vinegar)

Combine these in a bowl and let them sit at room temperature 24-48 hours.

Pretty little seeds enjoying a nice, relaxing soak
After the allotted time has passed, puree the seed-vinegar mixture.

Now, I started out with our "baby" Cuisinart®, but the amount proved just a teeny bit too much, so I switched to the blender, a decision with which I was quite happy.

Once pureed, add spices/herbs/aromatics of your choosing.

I opted for some salt, freshly ground black pepper, cumin, and oregano.  I also added capers and some minced garlic.  No, I didn't measure, so I can't tell you the ratios.  Basically, I added whatever I felt was right.

The finished product is not the most photogenic thing I've ever made, but you know, beauty is only skin deep, and this was rather lovely in its own right.






This made about 3/4 pint, which should last just long enough.  When I tasted it, the mustard had quite the zing. This will mellow in the course of the next few days, but if it turns out to be too mild, I'll just throw in some hot sauce or something (I don't think I'll need to do that).
You know what this would really taste good on?  Homemade pastrami.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm! Looks fabulous- plenty photogenic in my opinion. I may have to attempt this at some point.
    I also find it funny that you had mustard seed on hand. But then again I have all sorts of random condiments in my fridge, so I shouldn't laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete