Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Reverb 13 · Prompt 1 · At the Start

#Reverb13 is a prompt-a-day series for the month of December that is meant to give participants the chance to reflect on the past year and take the opportunity to write down some hopes for the coming year.

I'm starting late, and I can't promise that I'll post for each one, but I think this will be a good chance to reflect and decompress during what is otherwise a fairly busy and yes, stressful time of year.

At the start: where did you start 2013?  Give some background on this year.

I started 2013 injured, nursing the worst shin splints I had had since I was 18 and stubbornly refusing to give up either jumping or hurdling.  I'd limped through December to meet a running goal that I only recently realized, through some actual math, wasn't accurate, and I was paying for it.  No January trail race.  Barely ready for a March 10K.
But thankfully, in my injury, I was turning over a new leaf, starting a better self maintenance plan, which I began almost immediately after the dawn of 2013, seeing the chiropractor regularly and making myself use the foam roller instead of just stretching it out.

But it was also the start of lofty goals to do and be more.  Run more miles.  Spend more time with my family.  Give more to my favorite charities.
Reality: more is easier in January than any other month of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment