Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Reverb 13 · Prompt 4 · 20/20

#Reverb13 is a prompt-a-day series for the month of December that is meant to give participants the chance to reflect on the past year and take the opportunity to write down some hopes for the coming year.

Prompt 4: 20/20 -- hindsight is the one thing from which we never benefit here in the present.  Is there one moment you wish you could do over?

No.

For a long time after Dad died, I dwelled in the past.  Wishing I could have changed things.  Maybe if I hadn't left Washington for college.  Maybe if I hadn't gone to Germany instead of coming home that summer.  Maybe if I had taken a semester off.

If only, if only...

It's not a healthy way to live.

Actually, it's not a way to live period.

While I certainly have those moments upon which I can look back and cringe this year, I wouldn't do any of them over.  Because then Today is Different.

I'm not saying that I'm perfect; this is something with which I struggle each and every day.  Those moments when I think back to pre-1999 wondering if something I could have done could have prolonged my dad's life.  There is still heartache and tension and some things that are best left un-blogged.

But at the end of the day, I am Here Today because of What I Did Yesterday.  Yesterday is gone, so it's time to look to Today.  That way Tomorrow is even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment