Thursday, December 5, 2013

Reverb 13 · Prompt 5 · Challenge Accepted

#Reverb13 is a prompt-a-day series for the month of December that is meant to give participants the chance to reflect on the past year and take the opportunity to write down some hopes for the coming year.

Prompt 5: Did you take on a new challenge in 2013?  What was it?  Are there challenges that you deliberately avoided?  How do you want to challenge yourself in 2014?

Some days, just the mere act of getting out of bed is a challenge.  Like last night, when HRH woke at 2AM because of a nightmare, 3AM because of an accident (caused by another nightmare), and at 4AM because she bit her cheek (probably related to yet another nightmare).  My alarm went off at 4:45.  Parents round the world know this challenge all too well.

But if we're being honest with ourselves, which is the whole point of this exercise, my biggest challenge is confrontation.

I don't relish it.  I don't really like to stir the pot when it comes to uncomfortable situations (I have no trouble doing that same pot stirring in an environment in which everyone knows I'm being a sassy pants).  Speaking up when I know it could cause turmoil is something I'd just rather avoid.  Keeping it in, while never the best decision, always just seems...easier.  It's with that same mindset that I pretend the chaos of my junk drawer doesn't exist.  I just ignore it and hope it will rectify itself.

Of course, my junk drawer is still as chaotic as it was yesterday, and those things left unsaid...well, they're still unsaid.  Ideally, this could be a challenge I conquer in 2014, but I'm not going to make it a resolution or goal, since I've got a 35-year track record that doesn't place positive odds on that happening.  But I can set a goal on improving, little by little.

Overcoming a challenge is just like losing weight anyway; there's no magic pill, and it doesn't happen overnight.  But a pound is a pound, and a word is a word.

No comments:

Post a Comment