Friday, February 24, 2012

Gesundheit!

I have been sick for nearly a week now; like usual, my tonsils (especially my left one) have been swollen to the size of basketballs, which has made that lovely crackling sound happen deep within my ear canal.  Once again, I have been finding myself contemplating a self-tonsillectomy each time I open the silverware drawer.
I was actually talking complaining to a friend about how I probably have never taken better care of myself in my life, and yet I've been sick more this year than I can remember ever being, and she suggested that maybe I'm detoxing from all the crap that I used to eat.  That got me thinking.  Maybe.  I just hope I'm about done with that.  Otherwise, I'll have to go back to killing myself with Dr. Pepper.
The worst part of being sick is not having the energy to run, but it's not like I only lack the energy to run.  I have absolutely NO desire to cook anything.  Making toast is a herculean effort.
Am I overly dramatic?  Probably.  But now isn't the time to analyze my sick behavior.
Needless to say (why do I say that when I know I'm going to say it anyway?), my menu plan was shot.  We got through Mardi Gras Monday, but for the rest of the week, the leftover king cake, heated in the microwave, was the only thing on my menu.
Enter The Soup.
Chicken soup has been a staple of sickies for ages.  To be honest with you, though, while I love a good matzo ball soup, I usually don't go head over heels for the stuff.
No.  I need something hotter.
Enter the local Korean restaurant, Cho Dang Tofu and BBQ (there isn't a website, even though it's part of a Southern California chain).  I can't remember when The Husband discovered it, but we go there often enough to just say "let's get Korean."
Last time we went (when we were both actually sick), I got a soup that was so good but so hot that it melted my mouth.  Especially the next day - it was like the peppers in the soup had little pepper babies overnight.  But oh, did my sinuses clear out like the room after Zooey's gotten her paws on some forbidden wheat-filled food item.
This week, I went with a similar soup - rice noodle, beef, green onion, and mushroom - but requested that the chef dial back the heat factor.
It was excellent yesterday.
Today it was perfect.
I finally feel like I'm on the mend.  My throat is still a little sore, but after letting the peppers kill everything between my teeth and stomach, I'll be shocked if I'm still feeling poorly on Monday.
Of course, now that I'm starting to feel better, it's time to get back in the kitchen and fill my belly with cold and flu busting goodness.  Heaven knows we have plenty of veggies in the crisper.

Are you a "baby" when you're sick?
Do you prefer hot and spicy foods to soothe a sore throat, or do prefer something cool?
Do you take supplements to keep from getting sick or to get over the sickness sooner?

Spicy kimchi, which comes with the soup

No comments:

Post a Comment