Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Ten Things I Like About You - Running

I suppose I should probably wax poetic on something more, um, romantic than running today.  But if you want to know the truth, Valentine's Day makes me want to barf.  I'd write a post about that, but An Island Mom already beat me to the punch.  To me, there is nothing remotely romantic about a forced show of affection, although if The Husband were to come home bearing cupcakes, you would not hear me complaining.
But I digress.
I'm actually thinking of making top ten lists Something I Do here on this little blog.  I like making lists, especially when they aren't Things That Must Be Done, so maybe I'm onto something here.
And yet again I digress.
I just had a friend ask me for advice for her first 5K run.  Had I not been so comfortably still-ensconced in my bed, I might have fallen over.  Who asks me for running advice?  Running and I haven't even celebrated our two-year "cotton" anniversary yet, so I still feel like a newbie to this whole relationship.  And we did have a bit of a "break" last year, although it's not like that whole Ross-Rachel break.  I didn't go hiking or take up P90X while we were apart; I was just lazy and didn't do anything.
But the fact of the matter is that I do love running.  Only running can get me out of bed at 4:30 in the morning (well, running and an excited coonhound).  Only running can get me excited about compression gear (especially socks - be still my beating heart).  Only running can make me think that Miley Cyrus's music isn't that bad (that was a scary moment, people).
So what is there to love about running?  What is so great about an activity that makes people look like they are in such agony when you pass them in your nice, comfy car?
I'm not sure what other people love about running, but here is why I love it:
  1. It's "me time."  I don't run with HRH or The Husband.  It's just me.  And the hound, but she doesn't talk, and she prefers to keep going rather than be "all done" like HRH was when I ran that one 5K with her in the stroller (never again, kid).
  2. My legs.  Yep, that's right.  I love how my legs look.  I mean, I should also love how they feel (strong), but I don't see how they feel in the mirror.
  3. A tired coonhound is a good coonhound.  Sure, I love running for me.  But I have a high energy dog, so I love what running does for Zooey as much as I love what it does for me.
  4. I get a chance to listen to music that I want to hear, not The "Itsy Bitsy Spider" or (horror of horrors) the Dora the Explorer theme song.
  5. What woman doesn't love shoe shopping?  Sure, they aren't sparkly (well, some are) or pointy, but the whole experience of being fitted for a new pair of running shoes brings as much satisfaction as when I bought my wedding Blahniks.  And now that I think of it, I'm sure I can bedazzle the hell out of my Sauconys!
  6. The stink of sweat.  No, bear with me - that whole men's locker room smell is kind of pretty really gross, but I can't lie; it's something I look forward to - the tangible evidence that I just worked my tail off.  It also gives me first dibs to the shower when I get back on the weekends, since no one wants to be around me until I'm clean again.
  7. I can finish what I start.  Yes, there are plenty of people who DNF and even DNS, but so far I have been fortunate enough that my bossy self is able to tell my wanna-quit self to shut up and keep running.  For someone who is a procrastinator on a lot of things, having the follow through is  an accomplishment in itself.
  8. Smaller pants.  I'm pretty sure I don't need to elaborate on this one.
  9. My running helps others.  I love how many events to benefit various causes include walks and runs.  It's a way for me to focus my love of running to help those who might be struggling to take a few steps away from a hospital bed.  It's a way to keep myself healthy but at the same time do something that is far greater than myself.  It's a humbling understanding, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
  10. Have I mentioned the smaller pants?

3 comments:

  1. #1, #3, #8, & #10 are my favorites. Especially #1. OK, and #10. Vanity does play a factor. ;)

    I vote yes for Top 10 Lists. Your Coon Hound list almost had me running to the nearest shelter in search of one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to pick a favorite but I can't. The whole thing is so Manifesto. And I so love that you're paying it forward to new runners.

    Since I specialize in comments that miss the point, can we please get a snap of the Wedding Blahniks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, first of all, that was the intent - more coonhounds out of shelters! :) I love my Zooey-girl to the point that I am considering allowing her to have her own Twitter account.
    Blahniks will be snapped as soon as I can dig them out of the closet. :)

    ReplyDelete